We often characterized lawyers as crooked, opportunistic and untrustworthy people. However, there are other lawyers who are true to their profession and are trustworthy. When you are planning to make a will or a trust, it is important to select not only the best but also the trustworthy probate lawyer to help you draft your will or trust. Finding a trustworthy probate lawyer in Freemantle seems to be a daunting task since most of the common folks don’t retain a lawyer. So how do you find the probate lawyer that is both competent and trustworthy?
- Know what kind of you probate attorney you need. The first step in hiring a probate lawyer is to identify what kind of probate lawyer you need. Generally, probate lawyers are categorized into two categories. The transactional probate attorney is the one who handles the administrative side of probates, while the litigator probate attorney stands for a client in case of probate lawsuits. Some of the probate lawyers do both the transactional and litigation, but most of the Freemantle probate lawyers specializes in one area or the other.
- Ask for a referral from family, friends, and employer or business associates. Talk to your circle of friends, family members or your employers for referral. Most of the time lawyer gets free advertising from satisfied clients. A recommendation from a family or a friend is good way to start in finding a good probate lawyer. However, you should be careful about relying too much on recommendations. Cousin John may have an excellent lawyer but he might have different legal circumstances than yours. Referral and recommendation from the people you trust is a good place to start in finding a trustworthy probate lawyer.
- Ask referral from your state or local bar association. Every state and most of the cities in Australia has a bar association. These associations of lawyers have a list of their member-lawyers and their field of specializations. It is a good place to scout a potential probate lawyer to hire. Also, make sure that the lawyer you hire belongs to bar association. Never hire an attorney who are not affiliated to any state bar association.
- Talk to the lawyer. Prepare a shortlist of a potential probate lawyers to hire. Ask them to have an initial meeting with you and talk to them. This initial talk can tell you whether he is responsive to your needs and detail-oriented. With the initial talk, you may have initial assessment so as to what kind of attorney he or she is. Trust your gut instinct, if the lawyer does not strike you good at initial meeting, then he or she is probably not good.
- Look at lawyer’s track record. The lawyer’s track record the best form of referral or recommendation that you could look into. The losing and winning cases as well as what type of client he or she is associated with can tell whether that lawyer is trustworthy or not.
Finding yourself a good and trustworthy probate lawyer to help you draft will is as important as the will itself. That is why it is of utmost importance to hire a lawyer that is trustworthy and efficient.